Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Countdown Begins

This summer has gone by very quickly and suddenly I am leaving for France in only 25 days! Now that I have my visa and can legally work in France, all that's really left for me to do is pack. Since I am leaving in less than a month, I thought I'd make a list of some of the things I'm not looking forward to and things that I am looking forward to. I'm really excited about going but at the same time I can't help but be nervous!


Things I am NOT looking forward to:

- Being away from my family/boyfriend/friends for 7.5 months

- The time change (it will be difficult finding times to talk to people at home that work for both me and them) 

- Strikes (the French love going on strikes - last time I was in France, the SNCF went on strike and my train to Paris was cancelled so I had to rent a car to get there and almost missed my flight to Munich)

- Not being able to understand everyone (my French is good, but I still struggle with slang and people who speak too quickly)

- People not understanding me sometimes

- Dog poop (French people don't like to clean it up)

- How expensive everything is since I am used to Milwaukee's decent prices

- Living out of 1 suitcase for 7.5 months 



Things I AM looking forward to:

- Being in FRANCE!!!

- Traveling all over Europe

- Speaking French (and hopefully improving a lot!) 

- French food (especially galettes and crepes)

- Yummy Boulangeries 

- Pain au chocolat

- Nantes' Christmas market and vin chaud (hot spiced wine) in the winter

-  Living in a place with so much history and culture to explore

- Meeting people from many different countries

- Visiting chateaux 

- Being an English teaching assistant and getting insight into the French education system (also getting to teach about America, Chicago, and Milwaukee)

- Making French friends


To me, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives concerning living in France. Even though I'm nervous about it now, I had an amazing time studying abroad there and I know being a teaching assistant will be just as wonderful. Leaving my family/boyfriend/friends behind is going to be extremely difficult, but I will be home for 2 weeks over Christmas break so I know that will help. 7.5 months seems like a long time now, but I know it will go by like a flash (especially if I am having the time of my life!) 


2 comments:

  1. What are the dates that you'll be back in the US? I might be going to Germany for Christmas and don't want to miss out on you coming home or could possibly meet up before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be back December 17th-January 2nd.

    ReplyDelete