Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'm Back!

Since I will soon be going to France again, I thought I'd start getting in the habit of blogging so that my friends can see what I'm up to in the land of crepes, chateaux, and strikes. No, I am not going until October... but you can't blame me for being excited and starting a few [read: 6] months ahead.

Some of my more loyal followers may realize this isn't the same blog I had last time. Though I would have liked to continue where I left off after I studied abroad, I somehow got locked out of my account so c'est impossible.

I just got accepted to be a teaching assistant in France, which means that I will spend 12 hours a week, for 7 months, teaching English lessons to French high school students. Admittedly, 12 hours a week does not seem like much, but it will give me plenty of time to explore the town and travel a lot. I will be teaching in the Académie de Nantes, which is where I studied abroad. French académies are very large, however, so I will not necessarily be teaching in the city of Nantes. French school districts cover large regions and there are many positions in smaller cities and towns in the region. I will not find out exactly what town I'll be in until this summer, so I could really be anywhere in the district. I've heard horror stories of assistants getting placed in tiny rural towns in the middle of nowhere with no form of transportation and no other assistants. I'd prefer being in a city, but I do think being placed in a smaller town would make the experience more authentic. I wouldn't mind it as long as there is at least one more assistant and decent transportation. No matter what, I will still be in France! 

I also discovered that this 7 month period includes many different breaks. There is a 2 week break at the end of October, 2 weeks for Christmas, 2 weeks around February, and 2 weeks in April! Plan your visits accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment